Monday, June 24, 2013

Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers (100% Complete)

Manju narrating a passage from the book about her life
india.nydailynews.com/newsarticle/4f5518e60169a5345c000000
As my reading continued, I encountered towering corruption, dying people ignored, and suicide. Near the end, while an uppercity animal rights group is able to rally a lot of support for horses kept in the slums, the people of the slums could not change their situations. Instead, "powerless individuals blamed other powerless individuals for what they lacked. Sometimes they tried to destroy one another. Sometimes, like Fatima, they destroyed themselves in the process. When they were fortunate, like Asha, they improved their lots by beggaring the life chances of other poor people" (237). They could not rally together to make change, something that the author could not understand before she researched this book. I feel that while it is unfortunate that the slumdwellers did/do not feel they can band together for a common cause, it is understandable; Their lives have very little certainty and they have very little means. Most of their time is spent scraping up what they need to live for one day. If I put myself in their place, I can imagine I would feel like I didn't have much time to think about anyone other than my own family. It would be hard to put aside immediate needs in favor of addressing the bigger ones.

I think I understand the author's purpose with this book now. She writes "Ten years ago, I fell in love with an Indian man and gained a country. He urged me not to take it at face value" (247). Until reading this book, I did not look deeply into India. I did not know what the true conditions are like in its cities. Boo says that there had been a shortage of nonfiction about India, and through her book, she has created some. She believes "that better arguments, maybe even better policies, get formulated when we know more about ordinary lives" (251).

So while her book presents an almost endless list of India's problems (I found myself saying "Really?! That too?") and no plan of action for improvement, I think that's okay. We need to hear about what's wrong before anything can be done. Awareness is the first step for any type of change. I don't know that I would have adolescents read this entire book unless they were very interested. I still feel depressed after reading it and I think excerpts are enough to get them familiar with slum life. I think I would use this as nonfiction (that reads like a fictional story, but all the names, places, and events are true to life) to accompany other reading about poverty - to connect fictionally impoverished characters across time  (to the modern) or space (the similarities and differences between the impoverished in different nations). The link to the article above will provide some nice visuals for students - pictures of the actual slum and the people in it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. NATHANIEL LIEDLJune 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM

      I can’t see using this book as part of the curriculum. In a YA library, maybe, but it’s not an easy read. There are dozens of characters (or maybe it just felt that way) each with depressing stories. It may be an important read, but it’s certainly not a fun one. Reluctant readers have zero chance. I think using some passages or even a chapter could be an appropriate supplement to a different YA book about India. I do think Behind the Beautiful Forevers is a critical book because it’s important for students to know more about the world’s largest democracy. I think I’d try a different YA read relating to India. I haven’t read it, but Life is What You Make It (2011) by Preeti Shenoy sounds like a book with themes students will relate to, getting them warmed up to some of the more difficult issues surrounding India. White Tiger (2008) by Aravind Adiga is awesome though it does have some pretty colorful language to my recollection. A Fine Balance (1995) by Rohinton Mistry is a masterpiece about the heart-breaking struggles of a teenage protagonist. But it’s a lengthy read. Again, I could see using some passages but no more.

      There are infinite non-fiction resources to use with teaching India. The New York Times has an excellent blog, India Ink, which reports on the country’s “messy and maddening road to progress.” Katherine Boo had an interview with Stephen Colbert, so that’s obviously entertaining and could be a way to use the book without actually having students read it. I remember hearing an interview with Boo on NPR as well.

      And you should definitely still go to India! Life changing, depressing, and constant sensory overload, it’s a lot of things and much more :) It’s worth it for the food alone.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nathaniel! I will check out those other sources. India Ink sounds great and I love the idea of using an interview with the author as a nonfiction source without putting kids through the full experience of reading this book.

      Delete